Why Not Use 91 Isopropyl Alcohol?

Why Not Use 91 Isopropyl Alcohol?

Isopropyl alcohol is a common household item that is used for a variety of purposes including cleaning surfaces, disinfecting wounds, and removing stickers or adhesive residue. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and electronics. However, not all isopropyl alcohol is created equal. The 91% concentration is commonly available in stores, but is it always the best choice? In this article, we will explore why not to use 91 isopropyl alcohol and what other options are available.

What is 91 Isopropyl Alcohol?

Isopropyl alcohol is a colorless, flammable liquid with a strong odor. It is also known as rubbing alcohol and has a wide range of uses due to its antiseptic and disinfectant properties. The number 91 in the name refers to the concentration of the alcohol in the solution. This means that 91% of the solution is made up of isopropyl alcohol and the remaining 9% is water.

Why Not Use 91 Isopropyl Alcohol?

While 91 isopropyl alcohol is commonly available and inexpensive, it may not always be the best choice. One reason is that it evaporates too quickly, which can limit its effectiveness in certain applications. For example, when cleaning electronic devices or delicate surfaces, using a lower concentration of isopropyl alcohol may be more appropriate. A lower concentration will evaporate slower, giving the user more time to clean the surface properly.

Another reason to avoid using 91 isopropyl alcohol is that it can be too harsh for some surfaces. For example, it can damage certain plastics, rubber, and acrylics. In addition, it can leave behind a residue that is difficult to remove. When cleaning delicate surfaces, it is important to use a solution that is gentle enough to avoid damage.

What are the Alternatives?

Fortunately, there are several alternatives to 91 isopropyl alcohol that are more suitable for specific applications. For example, when cleaning electronic devices, a lower concentration of isopropyl alcohol or a specialized electronic cleaner may be used. These products are designed to evaporate slowly, reducing the risk of damage to the device.

When cleaning surfaces that are sensitive to harsh chemicals, a mild soap and water solution may be used instead of isopropyl alcohol. This will effectively clean the surface without causing damage or leaving behind a residue. For disinfecting wounds, a medical-grade alcohol may be used instead of isopropyl alcohol.

Conclusion

In conclusion, while 91 isopropyl alcohol is a common household item with a wide range of uses, it may not always be the best choice. Its quick evaporation and harshness can limit its effectiveness and cause damage to certain surfaces. However, there are alternatives available that are more suitable for specific applications. When choosing a cleaning or disinfecting solution, it is important to consider the surface being cleaned, the intended use, and the potential risks associated with the product.

Further reading: What Product Cleans Paint Sprayers?

Frequently Asked Questions about Why Not Use 91 Isopropyl Alcohol?

What is the problem with using 91% isopropyl alcohol?

Using 91% isopropyl alcohol can leave behind a residue that can be harmful to electronics and other sensitive surfaces. This residue can also cause discoloration or damage to certain materials.

What should I use instead of 91% isopropyl alcohol?

It is recommended to use 70% isopropyl alcohol, as it evaporates more slowly and does not leave behind as much residue. Another option is to use a specialized cleaning solution specifically designed for the surface you are cleaning.

Can I still use 91% isopropyl alcohol for some cleaning tasks?

Yes, 91% isopropyl alcohol can still be useful for certain cleaning tasks, such as removing grease or oil from surfaces. However, it is important to avoid using it on sensitive surfaces or electronics that may be damaged by the residue it leaves behind.

Is there any danger in using 91% isopropyl alcohol?

While 91% isopropyl alcohol is not inherently dangerous, it can be harmful if ingested or if it comes into contact with the eyes. It is important to handle it with care and to keep it away from children and pets. Additionally, using it on certain surfaces can cause damage or discoloration.

Further reading: Do You Have To Clean A Paint Gun After Every Use?

Leave a Comment